Our Advertising Policy
Last updated on: October 1, 2011
WebDentistry accepts advertising and sponsorship for its Web site and e-mail service according to the following principles:
- Advertising is separate from content. Advertisers and sponsors have no advance knowledge of our editorial content, nor do the editors shape content to accommodate advertising. WebDentistry will not sell advertising for a specific product or service on the condition that it appear in the same location and at the same time as specific content referring to that product or service. Advertisers and sponsors have no control over any of our editorial decisions or advertising policies.
- WebDentistry reserves the right to decline or cancel any advertisement at any time.
- Advertising that is not clearly labeled as advertising will be published with a headline identifying it as advertising. Users of WebDentistry and our e-mail service will be able to clearly distinguish advertising from editorial content.
- WebDentistry does not endorse any company, product, or service appearing in its advertising.
- Advertising must be factual and in good taste. Please note: when you click on an advertising banner or advertising link, you may be taken from WebDentistry to another website to view additional information. WebDentistry does not control such sites.
- Advertorials are not accepted on WebDentistry or for its e-mail service.
- WebDentistry does not accept advertising for alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.
- Advertisements for pharmaceutical products (including New Drug Application ("NDA") products) that are subject to U.S. Food and Drug Administration oversight must comply with FDA regulations regarding advertising and promotion. Other products and services must also be compliant with the regulations in the country where the advertisement will be seen.
- Except for the SmileFinder Directory of Dentists and Specialists, advertisers and sponsors have no control or influence over the results of searches a user may conduct on WebDentistry. Sponsors' SmileFinder listings are clearly marked with a "Featured" icon and are displayed before other listings for SmileFinder searches. All other search results are based solely on the functionality available through our search software (e.g., keywords or natural language) and user-defined criteria (e.g., displaying most recent or most relevant items first).
Advertising and Users' Personal Information
Advertisers on WebDentistry may collect or receive reports that provide aggregated data about the response to their advertisements. Such data may include:
- The number of impressions (the number of times the advertisement has been viewed on WebDentistry);
- The number and/or percentage of impressions that accounted for a click-through to a different site (click-through rate);
- The percentage of registered vs. nonregistered users who viewed the advertisement; and
- Aggregated demographic data about users who viewed the advertisement. This information will be disclosed in the aggregate only &emdash; for example, "dentists with a specialty of periodontics accounted for 7 percent of all impressions for this advertisement."
Comments and Feedback
Users of the WebDentistry web site and e-mail service are encouraged to comment on our policies. Please submit your comments via the forms provided.
Updating This Policy
This advertising policy may be revised periodically. A date informing you when the policy was last updated is at the top of the page. We recommend that you read our advertising policy whenever you visit our site in case you missed our notice.